101 Car shipping Tips and Suggestions:
How to find the best auto transport company?
- Search the internet for keywords like car transport, auto transport, car shipping, auto shipping etc.
- Take the help of friends who have used various shipping companies.
- Scan through the dedicated Car Movers Directory in the internet.
- Go through the local telephone book.
- Choose a company who has handled more than a hundred deliveries of vehicles and thus be an experienced car transport company.
- The company should render quality service and should also be economical.
- Never be tempted into straightaway of accepting the lowest offer.
- Enquire in the market about the quality of service.
- Compare the services & charges with those of other companies .
- Choose a company that will deliver your car before you arrive.
- To verify the credentials of any auto-shipping company, go through FMCSA Safety & Fitness Electronic Records.
- Vehicle transport review websites like www.transportrankings.com and The Better Business Bureau will be able to guide you with respect to comments & complaints about the company.
- Talk to the vehicle transport customer care, listen keenly as the answers given to your questions will make you grasp how perfect they are.
- Get an online-quote of transporting charges, which is usually free with most of the auto moving companies.
- Ask the companies for their insurance certificates.
- Find out if the company is registered with USDOT and if a DOT and MC number is given to them.
- Also find out if the car shipping company has the documentation to ship vehicles in the nation.
- They should have a federal license as well as insurance and bond requirements.
- Company should also have the correct court documents and cargo insurance coverage.
- A fully legitimate company should have no problem with showing you these things.
- If your shipping company is a middle man or a broker like (www.aaat.com) they will have a MC number.
- Sometimes if you contact an international auto shipping company directly instead of through a broker, you may not enjoy any price reduction.
- The transport company must have a skilled batch of professional drivers who can handle your vehicle in various climates environments.
- Enquire about the various hidden costs incase in their presence. Be sure about the hidden costs before the pick of your vehicles.
Choosing the service
- Avoid the confusion of whether to choose Open or Enclosed vehicle shipment? Answer is simple and right here!
Open car shipping mode is nearly 60% cheaper than enclosed car shipping.
- If you're shipping a luxury car or a classic car, it's better to go in for enclosed shipping-if your vehicle is just a regular sedan, it's much cheaper to go with an open transport.
Enclosed car carrier protects the car from various elements like dust, air, snow, and sun etc. Both have their pros and cons.
To opt for a cheaper route then tractor trailer is best as it takes more than one car at a time.
Customers can benefit when auto transporters use California to Florida route because they have to pay lower price for transportation.
An oversized car may cost more compared to a smaller vehicle.
Classic car transport luxury vehicle transport may cost more proportional to their price tags.
Check if the vehicle will be shipped to your house or the nearest terminal.
A shipping company transporting your vehicle might not be able to get your automobile to your doorstep or close to your house, since their routes might not cover those areas. But a broker will be able to locate a vehicle shipping company that will deliver the car close to your residence.
Large company use multi car carriers and therefore have a longer delivery time because their trucks have many stops, and cannot always drive at your door.
Charges taken from terminal to terminal car shipping are cheaper than delivery of the vehicle to the house.
Terminal shipping is considered the best option if you want to save money.
If the rates are nearly the same, you can opt for the vehicle to be delivered to your home. But comes with a price. (Read point 57)
Try to negotiate a lower price with the terminal shipping, even if it's not originally offered by the company.
Confirm from the transporter the address of terminal, so that you can pick up the vehicle as soon as it is delivered.
Don't be late for your appointment when it comes to leaving the vehicle with the shipper or when taking delivery.
Do remember if you choose door to door delivery, your vehicle may end up in a terminal if you're not at home at the time the car shipping company attempts to deliver your vehicle.
Payment methods and insurance details
After receiving your quotes, find out what payment method the carriers use, and what forms of auto shipping payments are accepted (credit card, cashiers check etc).
Some auto moving companies may insist on full payment in advance, while others may ask for a deposit.
The balance amount is usually necessary to be paid during delivery. You would additionally need a cashier to verify or cash set when the truck delivers your car.
Keep cash ready as not all truck deliverables accept payment via credit card upon delivery.
Never rely on verbal promises made by your shipper. Get everything in written.
Insist in writing that your car shipping company offers a guarantee that covers a rental car fee in the event the delivery date runs over by a certain number of days.
Verify the maximum dollars per day and the number of days allowed for your rental car coverage.
Ensure that costs, deductibles, damages, claim procedures, pickup and delivery dates, cost to cancel shipment, guarantees, etc. are all comprehensively covered in the auto shipping contract.
The deposit amount paid is very important. This is what the broker gets for moving the vehicle.
Seek a contract clause that waives the cancellation fee if your car is not picked up by your vehicle shipping company within the time frame that you agree upon.
Some transport companies will offer a guarantee that covers a rental car if they cannot make the agreed delivery.
Get all the details about the insurance that has to be paid while shipping the vehicle.
Some car shipping companies cover this with shipping cost and some companies carry it over as extra cost.
Read the contract till the basics are understood.
Be wary of hidden fees that are listed in the small print on the contract.
Make arrangements at least one month before for shipping the vehicle.
Confirm the dates two weeks before the actual shipment.
If you require a fixed delivery date, make sure to discuss this with the vehicle moving company.
Cost of shipping
"Car shipping companies charge for a shipment based on the weight of the vehicle.
You have no control over the weight of the vehicle - but there are some things that you can do to cut down the overall weight before shipping.
Some cars have extra seats that can be removed before shipping.
Reduce the weight of auto shipment by keeping the gas tank content very low as Fuel can add quite a bit of weight as most tanks can carry anywhere from eleven to thirty gallons of gas.
Remove toolboxes, add-on vehicle fittings and other accessories before the vehicle is shipped.
The car alarm should be disabled, as there are many kinds of alarms and the car company might not be able to shut it off.
The antennae should be removed.
Fog lights, spoilers and other loose parts should be secured well or removed.
Convertibles should be shipped with the top secured properly.
While being transported the cars should not have leaking fluids like brake fluids, as this will fall on the cars below if it is being shipped in a two deck open trailer.
The car mirror should be folded, if it is too wide. The antennae should be removed.
If items like hood ornaments, decals, hubcaps are found loose, it is best to either remove or secure them.
Make sure to check the vehicle's undercarriage and also check for mechanical damages after shipment.
Any objects inside the car could move around and damage the interior. This kind of damage will also not be covered by the vehicle shipping insurance.
Arrange for an auto inspection by individual mechanics and other companies that provide inspections for vehicles that will be shipped to ensure safety of the vehicle.
Take photographs of the vehicle especially of any dents, scratches, or other damage that is already on the car.
Before signing the agreement, make sure that you agree with any notations made regarding preexisting damage to your vehicle.
GPS tracking system
Check if the transport company that you choose also has a GPS tracking system enabled.
The car tracking system helps you to monitor rash, risky and dangerous driving practices.
More details at Uses of car tracking system.
Get free online car transport quotes from various auto shipping companies over the internet.
Certain information like the origin and destination of transport, appropriate departure date, type of vehicle that has to be shipped, type of car transport service desired like to door to door transport service or terminal to terminal transport service helps you give the best quote.
Things to be done before shipping
Obtain copies of insurance policies and all other agreements or promises in writing in order to avoid misunderstandings later.
Check the insurance plan offered for your package as the companies cover up damages only up to a certain amount of money.
You might want to consider a supplementary insurance coverage for a particular vehicle shipment. This might be especially true if you are transporting a valuable classic, vintage race car, exotic, antique or other specialty vehicle.
Ask for a copy of transporters insurance coverage, and find out whether their insurance is primary or secondary to your own car insurance.
Any licensed and authorized transporter will have insurance that would theft while your car is in possession of the auto shipping company.
The shipping company will complete an exhausting inspection of the car and a bill of lading will be signed by you.
Get the phone number of the driver who will pick up the vehicle.
Things to be done after shipping
On arrival at the destination, you can verify the condition of the car.
If you notice any discrepancy, you note it down on the bill of lading and get it signed by the driver.
During delivery of your car, do not accept the car at night, since you cannot inspect it thoroughly.
Check the roof, front rear bumpers and also take down the mileage reading before and after shipping your vehicle.
When damages are found,First, get the driver's signature and then contact the car shipping company.
Second, if you received a poor customer service, first contact the car transport company dispute department and try to work out something.
Third, if the problem still exists, you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau
If there are grounds to file a claim, do so immediately after taking delivery.
Damages cannot be claimed if any of it is not signed by the driver at the time of delivery.
Your inspection report,should contain receiving and delivery information, current mileage, and details pertaining to the condition of your car.
If you're meeting in a neutral location because access problems prohibit door-to-door service and be clear where the driver wants to meet you.
At AAAT we ensure guaranteed performance regarding auto transportation and offer beneficial auto transport services using fabricated techniques.
AAAT makes certain when it comes to time factor for the customers, both during delivery and pick up.
If there is anything else you want to know? Call us at 877-859-4500 (Toll-Free).
Previous article : Transportation Studies | Job Opportunities
Next article : Fuel efficient Green Cars